Bacs cookie policy

We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible online experience. By continuing to use this site, you give consent for cookies to be used. Please read our cookie policy for more information and details on how to change your preferences. Cookie Policy

How to claim
(3.6 from 398 ratings)

Click a star to rate this content.

In the rare event that an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit*, either by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund from your bank or building society of the amount paid.

Simply contact your bank or building society. They are responsible for refunding the money - even if the original error was made by the organisation collecting the payment. But remember, if you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to.

Full details of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Should your bank or building society fail to provide a refund under the terms of the Guarantee:
If your claim falls within the scope of the Guarantee, and your bank or building society has failed to provide a refund, then you should contact them again in writing, escalating the communication to your branch manager or customer service manager and cite the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Should the matter still not be resolved:
Refer to our How to com​plain

* The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.​
(3.6 from 398 ratings)

Click a star to rate this content.

Follow us