How to complain

If the complaint relates to an error with the payment of your Direct Debit (this could be that the wrong amount has been collected, or funds have been debited on the incorrect date), begin by contacting your bank or building society. Every bank and building society that is a member of the Direct Debit Scheme has a complaints procedure.

To find out about this, contact your bank or building society or look on their website. Your bank or building society should be able to resolve your problem but, if you are not satisfied with the way in which your complaint has been handled, you can refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

If the complaint does not relate to the payment of your Direct Debit, for example, you are complaining about a service or product you pay for by Direct Debit or you disagree with the amount shown on the advance notice, you should contact the billing organisation (the one providing the service or goods). They will be able to give you more information about their complaints process.


Please note that we do not have the powers to adjudicate on disputes or overturn decisions made by the Financial Ombudsman Service or your bank or building society.



Complaints handling procedure flowchart


Complaints handling procedure flowchart