Last updated: 21 May 2018
Bacs Payment Schemes Limited (Bacs) understands the importance of protecting your personal information.
If you need any further details, have a query or complaint about our use of your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer:
- by email at DPO@wearepay.uk or
- by post at 2 Thomas More Square, London, E1W 1YN.
Where we provide links to third party websites, Bacs accepts no liability for the privacy practices or content of these website.
Direct Debit payments
If you are unable to provide this personal information we are unable to perform your Direct Debit automated payment.
Visiting our website
When you visit our website, we place cookies on your device (e.g. computer hard drive, mobile phone) which collect unique identifiers relating to your device automatically. We do this so that we can improve our website’s functionality and performance. For example, enabling the site to load quickly, remembering you have been shown a one off message etc.
If you choose to contact us using the email address provided in the How to Complain or Contact us sections of our website, or the DPO contact details above, we will collect and process your personal information so that we can deal with your query.
So that we may provide our Direct Debit service and deal with any queries or complaints you may have, we share your personal information with the following:
- Payment service providers such as your bank or building society and collecting organisations so that your Direct Debit instruction is completed; and
- Our key infrastructure supplier, who processes your payment instruction.
In relation to the performance and operation of our website we share your personal information with the following third party service suppliers who support the delivery of this service in accordance with the contractual arrangements we have in place with them:
- Website hosting supplier
- Website development and maintenance agency
- Consultants who provide website management support.
Where required by law or competent authority we may also share your personal information with regulators, courts, government departments and law enforcement agencies. We will inform you of this before we share your personal information unless we are legally prevented from doing so.
Bacs does not, nor do any of the third party service suppliers with whom your personal information is shared by us, transfer any of your personal information outside the European Economic Area.
Your personal information is kept in accordance with our data retention policy which categorises personal data and applies retention periods according to use. Retention periods are determined by reference to applicable data protection laws and the purpose for which the personal information was collected and is used. Legal and regulatory retention requirements, contractual obligations and limitation periods are also part of the retention period determination process.
Personal information processed to perform your Direct Debit automated payment is kept for 7 years from the last date that it was processed. This means that if you make the same automated payment at regular intervals e.g. monthly, annually, we keep your personal information for 7 years from the date of each one of those payments.
Bacs understands the importance of ensuring its systems are secure from unauthorised access, use or disclosure so that emails and forms that contain your personal information are safe. It has internal policies, procedures and controls in place to ensure this.
The law entitles you:
- To request and receive a copy of any of your personal information which we have collected
- To request that we correct and / or complete personal information we have collected
- To request that we permanently delete, stop using or storing any of your and / or restrict our use of your personal information when we no longer need it for the purpose you provided it to us
- To object to the processing of your personal information by us unless we can demonstrate that we need to continue processing it
- In some circumstances to request that we transfer your personal information to a third party.
If you would like to exercise any of these choices, please get in touch via our Data Protection Officer using the details above. Where we have shared your personal information with other companies, we will let them know if you exercise any of these choices.
If you believe that we have not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the Information Commissioner who can be contacted at www.ico.org.uk or by telephone on 0303 123 1113.