Who does what

Your bank or building society
Should you feel you have a claim under the Direct Debit Guarantee then you should contact your bank or building society. They are key to resolving any Direct Debit issue and refunding any money collected in error. 

The company or organisation that you are paying by Direct Debit (sometimes referred to as the originator or service user)
You will set up a Direct Debit directly with the company that you are paying for goods or services, and this may be done over the phone, online, or in writing. You should inform them of any problems that you have with the payment – particularly if it means that you miss any payments due – they are responsible for ensuring that Direct Debits are collected in accordance with the advance notice issued. Responsibility for re-paying any money collected in error* however, rests with your bank or building society under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Bacs is part of the leading UK retail payments authority Pay.UK, which is responsible for the clearing and settlement of Direct Debits in the UK. It also ensures organisations using the service adhere to rules and maintain standards.​

The Financial Ombudsman
The Financial Ombudsman is the independent service for settling disputes between consumers and businesses providing financial services. You can contact them at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk​.

* The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.​

Follow us